Author Archives: chloehayter

The British Crime Survey by Chloe Hayter

Advertisements

Conducted vicitim survey by Chloe Hayter

Image

I conducted my survey on 5 participants at Richard Taunton Sixth Form College. All participants asked were between the ages of 16-20. My survey found that out of the 5 participants, 60% had illegally downloaded videos/music etc. Also, 60% of participants weren’t sure whether the punishments for committed crimes are strong enough and the remaining 40% thought that the punishments for committed crimes are not strong enough.

A weakness to my survey is that it isn’t very representative to the population, as it was only given to 5 participants at Richard Taunton Sixth Form College. Therefore, all participants were roughly the same age. Another weakness to my survey is that in question 2, I asked for the ages of participants, but two of the options were ‘Under 16′ and ’17-20′. Therefore, if the participant was 16 they wouldn’t have an option to choose. So to improve this I would change the second option to ’16-19’.

Image

This graph shows what options the participants chose in the question: Have you been involved in any of the following crimes. This pie chart shows that a majority of the participants had illegally downloaded videos/music etc. Also, no participants had been involved in theft, vandalism, prostitution, rape, arson, assault, fraud and racism.

Victim Surveys by Chloe Hayter

Handcuffed Suspect

A victim survey is a survey that asks a sample of people which crimes have been committed against them over a fixed period of time. It also asks whether of not they have been reported back to the police, these surveys can be conducted on a national or local scale.

  • A national survey- of a whole country in which people are asked to provide information on crimes which have been perpetrated against them.
  • A local survey- in which a specific, usually inner city, neighborhood is targeted, and criminologists or sociologists engage in a more detailed study of the same issues.  by Jock Young, revealing a fear of crime amongst local residents that shapes much of their behaviour. [1]

Surveys are funded by taxpayers, therefore their geographical coverage will often be driven by political geography and by the structure of responsibilities within the Criminal Justice System. [2]

This is a graph of data collected by the BOS:

Graph showing repeat victims by offence

This is a graph of data collected by the BCS ,which is a nationally representative survey with an achieved sample of approximately 47,000 adults living in private households in England and Wales each year. It is a face-to-face victimisation survey in which respondents are asked about their experiences of crime in the 12 months prior to their interview. This graph shows that the highest percentage of repeat victims by offence was from domestic violence. [3]

There are many advantages and disadvantages to conducting Victim Surveys;

Advantages:

  • Victim surveys can provide detailed, informative qualitative data. This would be useful as it would give the data collector lots of useful information to analyse, and would also be specific to what they are looking at.
  • Another advantage to Victim surveys is that they are quick and easy to be conducted. Therefore, victim surveys wouldn’t be time consuming to do.
  • Furthermore, victim surveys are conducted anonymously. This would reduce the chance of social desirability as no one would ever know which questionnaire answered was theirs, so they would have no need to lie.

Disadvantages:

  • A disadvantage to victim surveys is that as qualitative data is provided, it would take longer to analyse all of the questionnaires individually, therefore it is time consuming.
  • Another disadvantage to victim surveys is that as it is a questionnaire, if the participant does not understand a question it may gather confusing or irrelevant data.
  • In addition, victim surveys may be expensive as a large number of them would have to be handed out, therefore there would be high printing costs and for resources.

References:
1- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_study

2- http://www.costsofcrime.org/MakingYourOwnEstimates/StatisticalSources/VictimSurveyData.php

3- http://www.statistics.gov.uk/hub/crime-justice/crime/victims-of-crime